3 Exercises You Can Do in 3 Minutes
According to the American Academy of Pain Medicine, one in five American adults lose sleep every week due to pain or physical discomfort. The less sleep you get, the less time your body has to heal itself, which is why sticking with a pain management plan is so important.
That said, not everyone has time to exercise throughout the day. If you're suffering from pain while at work or school, some simple stretches can help provide temporary relief. Here are some quick stretching exercises that you can perform when you're pressed for time:
Ear to Shoulder Stretch
- 1. Sit on the ground with your legs crossed. Look forward and drop your arms to your side.
- 2. Take a deep breath. As you exhale, tilt your head to the side so that your right ear is approaching your right shoulder.
- 3. Inhale as you bring your head back upright.
- 4. Repeat the exercise on the left side. Do three repetitions on each side.
Back and Glute Stretch
- 1. Lie flat on your back.
- 2. Fold your knees into your chest and wrap your arms around your legs.
- 3. Gently rock side-to-side to stretch your hips and lower back.
- 4. Take turns crossing one leg over the other as you rock to stretch your glutes and piriformis as well.
- 1. Kneel down on both knees and take a deep breath.
- 2. Exhale as you lower your buttocks to your heels and stretch your entire body forward with arms outreached.
- 3. Rest your hands and your forehead on the ground. Your stomach should be nestled between your thighs.
- 4. Take 3-5 deep breaths as your spine stretches.
Long Term Pain Management
To achieve long term pain relief, you'll likely need to follow a carefully planned regimen of cardio, stretching, strength exercises and relaxation techniques. In some cases, surgery may be recommended. Consult a pain specialist before you begin a new exercise routine especially if you're recovering from an injury or suffering from other medical conditions.
Advanced Pain Care in Central Texas
Don't let pain control your life. Dr. Malone and his team of specialists at Advanced Pain Care can help you minimize the impact of pain on your life. Whether you're recovering from an injury or just suffering from chronic aches, our experts will work with you to develop a personalized and multidisciplinary pain management plan.
In addition to our state-of-the-art surgery center in Cedar Park, we operate eight offices throughout central Texas. Take the first step to improving your quality of life and schedule an appointment online with Advanced Pain Care.